Thursday, February 20, 2014

Canadian Update

So after a mid-Olympic slowdown, Canada has started to pick up some more medals.  This drought has made some at home a little worried, but we still have lots to look forward to.

Of course, there was Tessa and Scott with their silver medal in the Ice Dance competition, and I've already said my piece about that.  I am thrilled for them, they were superb and stunning. I just wish the media would now just let it go, and stop talking about the results, as it just sounds like sour grapes, and is disrespectful to Meryl and Charlie who were equally brilliant.

In Short Track, which takes place at the same venue as Figure Skating, Canada is having a string of bad luck that has dampened our medal count a little, but we did rally back to take the silver medal in the Ladies 3000m Relay.

In the debut of Men's Ski Halfpipe, Mike Riddle took the silver medal.  This is great, but I'm not sure I'm not sure I approve of all these new events, which seem to me to simply be re-hashes of existing events (Ski Halfpipe derives from Snowboard Halfpipe, for instance), or just lame extensions (such as Luge Relay).

I do approve of Snowboard Slopestyle, as I found it very entertaining. The Ski Slopestyle was not quite as good, as there were far too many bad runs (in the final, only 5 competitors scored more than 50, but the winner had 92 - boring!).  And, Ladies Ski-jumping has long been missing, even though I am not a fan of ski-jumping.  Of course, you already know my opinion about Team Figure Skating...

The big news today, of course, was that Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse rallied in their final run to come back and take the gold in Women's Bobsleigh.

Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse - Gold Bobsleigh!
 
More good news, both our Men's and Women's Curling teams have qualified for their Gold medal matches, as has the Women's Hockey Team.
 
Also today, Canada's Men's Hockey Team narrowly survived a challenge from Latvia to advance to the semi-finals against the USA.  Should be a great game.
 
My favourite tweet of the day came from Peter Mansbridge who tweeted:

No comments:

Post a Comment