Sunday, February 9, 2014

Figure Skating Team Event - Short Dance

So I mentioned that I got to go to see Figure Skating last night...

My ticket!  (Nosebleed section, but who cares!)

NBC always makes sure I get to see something, and since Vancouver, they know I like Figure Skating, so Rickey was able to score tickets for Tony and I to go tonight.

At least I could see the whole rink!

It is a really nice facility.  Hard to believe that it is supposed to be temporary.  We were seated in the upper bowl, close to centre ice.  Now I wish I had brought my 70-200mm lens. Unfortunately, all I brought was the standard 18-105mm kit lens (for walking around).  It is not a sports lens at all.  The lighting in the venue was great, so I probably could have got some great shots with the longer lens (and better seats). 

Yes, I let Tony use my camera!

I'm going to just share a bunch of the short dance shots from the various teams, but am not going to comment on all of them.  I apologize for the quality, they look very "Instagrammy".  I normally wouldn't post things this blurry, but it is what it is, and I have a story to tell...
 

When Tony and I entered the facility, we accidentally ended up in the broadcast section, and walked into the stands beside Kurt Browning.  He was busy and engaged in conversation or I would have said "hello".


I was happy to hear a familiar voice on the public address system.  PJ Kwong is doing the stadium announcing here.  She was knocking out those Russian and Japanese names with aplomb!


I loved the look of this German team above.  Very entertaining too.


I have always loved Natalie Pechalat, I think she has a great look and energy on the ice.


I liked this Italian program too, but none of the early teams are in the same league as Tessa and Scott, Charlie and Meryl, and even the Russians, but USA and Canada are clearly at the top.


The Russians got a huge reaction from the crowd (unsurprisingly), but weren't as good as they got scored, in my opinion.


Scott and Tessa were magnificent, except for that darn twizzle which has plagued them all year.  Their movements have so much unison, and are so smooth, it is awesome to watch.  I also thought they had a great emotional connection with each other and the audience (when I watched it on TV afterwards).


The only part of their program that doesn't do it for me is the lift.  I'm sure it is very difficult, but it just isn't all that pretty, especially compared to Charlie and Meryl's lift, which is gorgeous (if maybe a little, or a lot, easier).


While Tessa was stunning in that little black dress, I really didn't care much for Meryl's puffy sleeved pirate pyjamas.  (Sorry that was mean, they skated beautifully).


Somehow, though, their program doesn't have as much unison as Tessa and Scott's.  It looks looser, and less refined, but they did look good skating it.


And, as I mentioned earlier, I prefer their lift to ours.  Maybe the simplicity makes it prettier?


That's all my photos (that I could do anything with) from the Ice Dance short program.  I'll have posts for the Ladies short and Pairs free in the next day or two.

Thanks for following me!  Remember, you can follow me on Twitter to receive notifications when I post a new blog entry!

1 comment:

  1. Sean, your pictures are great. thanks for all the Olympic stories.

    ReplyDelete