Monday, February 10, 2014

Figure Skating Team Event - Ladies Short

Continuing with my photos from the Figure Skating Team Event, here are some of my better shots from the Ladies Short event.  Again, apologies for the poor quality - kicking myself for not bringing my sports lens...

The over-ice display!
 
Katelyn Osmond was fantastic.  The girl has no fear, and was exploding with personality and flirtatiousness.  It was a very entertaining program.
 
Katelyn rocked the Frug (Bob Fosse style...)!
 
I can't wait for her to continue to mature and refine her skills.  I think she could be great.  She has the confidence and ability to perform under pressure, and I think she has the technical skills too.
 
Always smiling, never afraid...
 
Ashley Wagner looked nervous on camera before her skate, but laid down a very solid program and you could see her confidence grow after nailing the opening triple-triple.  It was so great to see, as I am a big fan of hers, and she proved she deserves a spot on the US team after finishing fourth with disastrous skates at the US Nationals.
 
Ashley proves she deserves to be here...
 
Mao Asada was also solid, but fell on her Triple Axel attempt (though she might have been the only one to try it).  Personally, I thought Katelyn and Ashley were better than Mao, but I'm sure Mao had a more technically difficult program.
 
Mao Asada's program was beautiful...
 
Carolina Kostner is one of my favourite skaters, and she was stunning last night skating to Ave Maria.  At 27, she must be one of the oldest skaters here (not counting Plushenko at 31), but has really become better as she gets older.  In the past, I've been lucky enough to see her train at the Richmond Training Centre in Richmond Hill, where we get Caitie's skates sharpened.
 
Carolina Kostner, stunning in Ave Maria...

Julia Lipnitskaia is only 15 years old (and only made the Olympic age cut-off by 26 days!).  Wow, she was terrific.  Amazing maturity and artistry in her program, especially for a 15 year-old.  Her flexibility is astonishing (guess that comes with a 15 year-old's body).

Julia Lipnitskaia stole the show...

Well, that wraps it up for the Ladies short.  I'll have some photos from the Pairs free program next!

No comments:

Post a Comment