Monday, February 17, 2014

Curling Rocks!

This morning I decided to try to go see some Curling over at the Ice Cube!

Inside the Ice Cube Curling Centre!

Because of NBC emergency evacuation planning (where I am the night shift Comms representative), I've had my accreditation updated so that I can actually get into other venues (the first time in 9 Olympics that I've had this access)!

Coaches in front row, press in the back!

I took the bus from the IBC to Curling, and entered via the Media entrance, where I found the Press Seating area in the end zone.  Not the best seating, but it was free.  I'm hoping I can get into some other venues in the same way, though not every venue will have generic press seating, and they may be more selective about entrance for days when medal events are taking place.

Brad Jacob's Canadian Rink!

The 9:00am match was USA vs. Canada, and the Brad Jacobs rink got off to a slow start, so this was a must win for Canada.  I had only been sitting there for a few minutes, when Colleen Jones, CBC reporter, and 6-time Canadian and 2-time World curling champion came in and sat down beside me to cover the match for CBC.

Hanging out with Colleen Jones!

I introduced myself as a Canadian, and a curling fan, and she was very nice, posing for a photo with me during the break after the 5th end.

Canadian curling fanatics!

There were lots of Canadian curling fans in attendance, and they were raucous in supporting Team Canada.  Interestingly, I've also found lots of Olympic pin traders (outside the IBC and venues), and I don't think I've met one of them that isn't Canadian.

Checking the line...
 
The match itself was very exciting (if you like curling, which I do), and the lead changed hands a couple of times.  I thought Brad Jacobs was playing very aggressively, and perhaps taking chances where he shouldn't.
 
Big decisions...

Twice Jacobs tried to thread a shot through a hole that was just too narrow and ended up giving up points that he didn't need to.

"Hurry", "Hard"

By 9th end, Canada had taken a 7-6, but the USA would have the hammer in the 10th.  I was sure it was going to go to extra ends, which would have been a disaster for me, since it was already 11:30am and I had a dinner date with John at  5:30pm, and I still hadn't got home to sleep!

Crunch time in the 10th end!

Fortunately, Jacobs was able to steal one in the 10th for an 8-6 win!  Canada also beat China in the evening draw to gain an automatic berth in the semi-final.

On one of the other rinks, there was a game between Sweden and Russia...

A draw for Sweden...

Every time the Russian's did anything, even if it wasn't great, the fans in the Ice Cube erupted into cheering.  It was quite amusing and endearing.

Russian fans loved their team, no matter what!

The other rink had a match between Great Britain and Norway.  The Norwegian team is, of course, famous for their great pants...

Mesmerizing...
 
So, thanks to the steal in the 10th end, I was able to leave just after 11:40am, and was into bed by 12:30pm, and ended up getting 4.5 hours sleep before getting up for dinner.  I'm a bit tired, tonight, so it could be a long night!

No comments:

Post a Comment