Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tessa and Scott

I'm sure most of my Figure Skating and Synchro friends have been watching the W Network series "Tessa and Scott" following Canadian Ice Dancers, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, in the lead up to the Olympic Games.


I've been really enjoying the series (though I hope it has not been too much of a distraction for them in filming it).  There are moments each week that are very moving, and others that are extremely awkward.  I find it uncomfortable how they seem to focus so much on their relationship, and try to make it seem like Tessa has unrequited love for Scott.  (Maybe she does, but it seems cruel to make a point of it in any event).

They've been partners for 17 years, since they were 7 and 9 years old.  They've grown up together, so I'm sure it must almost feel like brother and sister, and a relationship would seem weird.

Regardless, they are, in my opinion, the best Ice Dance pair ever, and I was so fortunate that NBC made it possible for me to see their Original and Free Dance live in Vancouver.  I am also hoping beyond hope that lightning will strike twice and that I will be able to get tickets again (and that they will win Gold again).

The truth is, they are probably considered the underdogs this year, behind Charlie and Meryl from the USA (based on international scores so far this season).  They are also a fantastic dance pair, but I much prefer to watch Tessa and Scott - they have such beautiful lines, grace and elegance, plus fantastic technical skill and precision.

The series has done a good job showing everything that goes on around them during training, how hard they work, and sadly, how much pressure they put on themselves.  I really feel like they are bearing the weight of impossible expectations, and trying too hard to capture magic that can only come from skating for your self because you love what you do.  I hope they can relax, and perform for each other, without feeling like they need to deliver anything other than the best they can for themselves.

Sadly, I am not going to be able to watch the final two episodes of "Tessa and Scott" on the W Network airing this Thursday, but I am PVR'ing them to watch when I get home.

The TV times (EST) for the Original and Free Dance are:

Sunday Feb. 16: Ice Dance Short Program  10:00am - 1:45pm (TSN)
Monday Feb. 17: Ice Dance Free Program  **Medals Determined**  9:55am - 1:35pm (TSN)

Here is a complete list of all the Figure Skating TV times, courtesy of my friends at the Figure Skating Boutique!

No comments:

Post a Comment