Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Russian Cuisine

I've been eating almost all my meals at the NBC commissary.  It's pretty good, but repetitious, and I am getting bored with the same kinds of food all the time.  Plus, my 9pm to 9am schedule means that I arrive just as dinner stops being served, and they don't put out a late night dinner until 12:30am to 3:00am.  Of course, the grill is open 24 hours (if I wanted to live on french fries and pizza).

The NBC Peacock Grill...

We don't have the same amazing bakery and pasteries that we did in London, but they do make some pretty terrific muffins here in the morning.  My favourite is an Orange/Cranberry muffin, but the Blueberry is very good, as is the Cinnamon/Nut Crumble.  We even have our own Starbucks!  (If only I drank coffee...)

NBC has its own Starbucks...

There are also cafeteria style restaurants in the IBC, and even a McDonalds.  I was happy to see that they had the "Royale with Cheese" on the menu - just like in Pulp Fiction!  (This is what they call the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" in Europe/Asia.)

The "Royale with Cheese"...
 
The hotel complex has several restaurants on-site, but I hadn't tried any of them yet.  On Sunday night, John and I met at 5:30pm for dinner at the Russian restaurant.  This is probably the nicest of the restaurants.  It is pretty pricey, but the food is fantastic!
 
The Russian restaurant at the hotel...
 
There are lots of interesting things on the menu.  John had an appetizer of Quail Eggs and Salmon Roe that was visually interesting.  Not sure I could have eaten though.
 
Quail Eggs and Salmon Roe...
 
My appetizer was Veal Cheeks in a Mustard Cream Sauce.  This dish was unbelievably good.  The veal was amazingly well cooked and the sauce was delicious.
 
Veal Cheeks in Mustard Cream Sauce...
 
My entrée was something that I had been told that I had to try:  The Rabbit Pot.  This is a clay pot with rabbit in cream sauce with carrots, onions, and red peppers.  It was also very good (and I had never had rabbit before), however, I think I liked the veal better.
 
"The Rabbit Pot"
 
I was tempted to have a glass or two of wine, or even a beer, but this was before work, and I knew that it was going to be a pricey meal anyway, even with just water to drink.  Just for my two menu choices, and a bottle of water, my bill was $48!
 
I'm looking forward to trying the Italian restaurant at the hotel complex, as I'm told the pizza is very good.  There is also a Beer Garden that looks interesting (if only I didn't get off work at 9am!).

No comments:

Post a Comment