Sunday, February 23, 2014

Russian Arts annd Crafts

Russia has a rich cultural history, and not being able to explore, see, and learn about Russia in person has been the biggest disappointment of my trip here.  Sochi (actually, Adler) is so remote that there was no chance of (and safety issues with) travelling to anywhere "interesting".

Russian dolls in traditional costumes...
 
Instead, I've focused mostly on the Olympics this time, and it has been quite enjoyable, as I've been to a lot of events, and seen the inside of 4 different venues.  Still, would have been nice to be able to visit Moscow or St. Petersburg.

 
The lobby of the IBC has several art installations, but unfortunately none of the volunteers there speak any English, so it was impossible even to learn about what was on display.  Still, I liked the art, and the photos, and wanted to share them with you.

Roosters seem to be a common art image?
 
For some reason (and even Google didn't help me with this), I kept seeing images of roosters in many art images.  As far as I can tell, the Rooster has a long history in Russian fairy tales, and is deeply rooted in their culture.
 
Matryoshka dolls...

Of course, Matryoshka dolls are everywhere.  This is a nice set.  In shopping for a set of my own, I found that they ranged in price from $10 (toys) to over $750 (collectable art).   I found a nice set for about $60 (which I bought), but the ones I liked best started at about $150 and I just couldn't convince myself to buy one at that price).

Didn't know Einstein was Russian?

Birch bark art is very common, with intricate carvings and engravings.  In fact, birch bark was used as parchment, and there are Russian birch bark documents that have survived since the Middle Ages.

Birch bark art is common... and very cool!

Much of the Russian arts and crafts I've seen are marked by intricate and very detailed design patterns that are very beautiful.


Enameled pieces in black, red, orange, gold and copper are a common theme, and I was told by one shop keeper that they use actual gold in some of the gold paint.

 
Sadly, that's it!  My Russian cultural experience...
 
When I think of all the things that I would like to have learned more about, I get a little depressed. 
 
Here's a quick list of Russian historical figures worth reading about if you have the time:
 
Ivan "The Terrible" - First Tsar of Russia
Peter "The Great" - First Emperor of Russia, founder of St. Petersburg
Catherine "The Great" - First Empress of Russia, reigned during Russia's "Golden Age"
Rasputin - Mystic, healer, influence to Tsar Nicholas II (last Tsar of Russia)
 
There are dozens of others, I could spend weeks reading about Russia's history, and so could you.
 
But instead, you get some of my pretty pictures...  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment