Saturday, February 15, 2014

Russian Nesting Dolls (Matryoshka)

First, I've been told that my photos aren't showing up in some browsers.  Sorry about that!  I wish someone had said something sooner.  I think I have discovered and fixed the problem.  Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

One of the familiar images of Russia are the Russian Nesting Dolls known as Matryoshka Dolls.  These are carved and painted wooden dolls that open in the middle and contain another slightly smaller doll of similar shape, which in turns contains another doll, and so on...

An elaborate set that contains 15 dolls! (Not all shown)

The origin of these dolls dates back to 1890, and the first set consisted of 8 dolls.  The outer doll is traditionally a female, while the inner dolls can be of either gender, with the smallest doll usually being a baby made of a single small piece of wood.

A traditional "peasant" set, including both genders.

The word Matryoshka literally means "little matron", and the original (and most traditional) sets portray the matron in peasant clothing. However, modern sets now feature themes, such as Russian leaders, or fairy tales.  I've even seen Disney and Simpson themed sets for sale here.

More modern and elaborately painted sets.

The sets typically contain anywhere from 4 to several dozen (depending on the level of craftsmanship), though most sets seem to contain an odd number.  The prices can vary drastically from affordable tourist souvenir, to expensive art collection.

Many different styles are available at the store by the beach!
 
I found all of these at a nice little shop down by the beach in Adler.  I'm thinking I should bring a set home with me, but not sure which one, or how much money I want to spend!

6 comments:

  1. You must take a set home...these scream "I've been to Russia!"

    I'm a Disney freak and would love to see those sets.My son collects Star Wars memorabilia. A few years ago I got him a set of Ewok nesting dolls.

    I love these photos....these dolls have always fascinated me and seeing so many together is really cool!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Mary Carillo's piece on the fabrication and history of Matryoshka Dolls on NBC last night. Pretty interesting. Adds a bit of Russian cultural flavor to the Olympic coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary is fantastic, she has the best job in the World, and her spots are one of my favourite parts of the Olympics.

      Delete