Monday, February 24, 2014

That's a Wrap!

Well, that's a wrap!  The Closing Ceremonies are over and the Olympic Torch has been extinguished.  We'll see it again in 2016 in Rio, and then in 2018 in Pyeong Chang (hopefully with Synchronized Skating).

Final scene from closing ceremonies...

The mood here is relaxed and happy!  There is lots of loud music coming from various rooms, and there is a party out in the lobby of the IBC.  If I can, I'll sneak out later to see if I can grab a beer. 

Earlier this evening, I picked up my "Participation Certificate" from the Organizing Committee.  (David, because my name is David Sean McKinnon, and they can never figure out that my name is Sean...)

Yup. David.

NBC will run their credits at the end of their afternoon show today (5:45pm EST) and you will see my name (David, instead of Sean, as usual) appear under Communication Systems Maintenance!

My credit... David again... sigh...

I am still working until 7am this morning, in case the production crews decide to come back to do some voice overs or corrections on the closing ceremonies.  NBC will go off the air for their Olympic coverage at 7:38am Sochi Time.

Whatever floats your boat...

Tomorrow morning, I'll go home and pack, and then have a nap midday.  We are planning to try and have a final COMMs dinner on Monday evening.  Then I'll check my bags and get my boarding pass at the hotel, get a good night's sleep, and catch the bus at 6:40am for the airport.

Loved that they made fun of the Opening Ceremony SNAFU...

It's a 10 hour flight, but it is an NBC Charter, so there will be lots of good food and drink, and I'll probably try and stay awake watching movies.  I'll transfer in Newark, and will arrive home in Toronto at around 5pm on Tuesday afternoon.

Russian ballet...

I was thinking about trying to get to NEXXICE practice on Tuesday evening, but I think I'll be too tired.  I am dying to see them, so that I can congratulate Caitie and the team for winning the Canadian National Synchronized Skating Championships this weekend in Burnaby, BC, for a record 8th time, and with a new Canadian record score!

Synchronized piano playing...

They skated two phenomenal programs in BC, and I was lucky that I was able to get the Skate Canada Live Stream here in Sochi!  Tweeting with Jan, and chatting with Susan on Facebook, made me feel like I was a part of it.  Thank you!  Very proud of this team!  Can't wait for Worlds in Italy!

Giant animatronic Olympic Mascots...

As I was watching the closing ceremonies, one of the last pieces of music played was Prokofiev's Cinderella Suite - Cinderella's Waltz, which is the music for NEXXICE's Short program this year!  We're taking that as a good omen!

Blowing out the Olympic flame...

As for Sochi, it's been a blast as always. These opportunities are really the best for me, as I am such a fan of the Olympics, and I always get a little sad when it is over, but at the same time, I am also ready to go home, and looking forward to seeing Susan, Connor, and Caitie again.

See you next time!

I want to thank everybody that read my blog, commented on Facebook, or followed me on Twitter.  It is really nice to feel connected to the people back home when you are so far away for so long!

8 comments:

  1. Great blog as always Sean. Great insight into the Olympics and the location. Hope u make it to Rio.
    Kieran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean!

    Checking in to see if you're going to Rio in a few weeks! I will be following along if you are...love your Olympic blogs!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! I haven't yet decided if I will blog this year, but yes, I will be in Rio (leaving Saturday) for my 10th Olympic games! I will post again here if I have time to setup a blog. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. WOW...your 10th....congrats on that!

    I sure hope you do.I enjoy your blog because you show things we don't see on TV.=0)

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! I think for Rio I will be just posting photos and updates to my Facebook account. If you are on Facebook and want to find me, you can do so here:

      https://www.facebook.com/sean.mckinnon

      Cheers - Sean

      Delete
  4. That's cool...I'm on Facebook so I'll be looking forward to your photos etc.

    Just got done watching the Opening Ceremonies and have caught Olympic Fever!LOL

    Have a great time!
    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was happy to see on your FB page that you'll be in PyeongChang, South Korea ....I think you'll just be posting on there?...I believe I was able to see your photos when you were in Rio but not sure I could comment.....wishing you a great time and safe travels!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete